How to Deactivate ‘Find My iPhone”
Find My iPhone is a feature found in iOS and macOS that enables users to locate lost or missing iPhone, iPad and Mac devices. Once Find My iPhone is activated on a device, it is linked to that user’s Apple ID. You can then locate the iPhone, iPad or Mac by logging on to iCloud.com (on a Mac) or using the Find my iPhone app on an iPhone or iPad. With Find My iPhone enabled, the owner of a device can see its location on a map, remotely lock it, wipe its contents or send a message to a lost device encouraging a finder to return it.
Apple’s Find My iPhone service can be useful in a variety of situations – if you’ve lost a device or had it stolen. More importantly, there are specific circumstances when Find My iPhone stops being useful and becomes a potential inconvenience or danger. When you wish to sell a device, of course, you need to remove it from Find My iPhone; the same is true when you send it to Apple for repair.
Therefore Find My iPhone is a tremendously useful service and was implemented in part to discourage the theft of highly prized Apple devices. Because of this you cannot disable Find My iPhone without the Apple ID password used to set it up. Furthermore, if you cannot turn off Find My iPhone, you cannot completely restore the iPhone or iPad to its original factory settings.
Because of this you must disable Find My iPhone before selling, or passing on, your iPhone. If you have purchased an iPhone second-hand and do not have the Apple ID and password requested by Find My iPhone, you will need to contact the original owner to retrieve it or hand them the iPhone or iPad and get them to enter the password.
Luckily it’s very easy to remove an iPhone from Find My iPhone. Follow the step-by-step guide below as to how to do it
How to turn off Find My iPhone (on iOS 13 or later)
- Go to Settings on your device’s home screen.
2. Click on your name at the top of the menu. Once done, click the Find My option.
3. Tap Find My iPhone which can be seen at the top of the next page, and turn the Find My iPhone setting off. You can also toggle the Find My network option off too, as well as the Send Last Location option (which instantly sends the location of your phone to Apple whenever you are low on battery).
4. Put in your Apple ID password and then click Turn Off.
5. And if you can’t turn your phone on at all
How to switch off Find My iPhone on iOS versions 12 or earlier
1. Click on the Settings menu.
2. At the topmost part of the menu, click on your name.
3. Go to the iCloud menu, and then type in your password.
4. Pick the Turn Off option to disable Find my iPhone.
These are a few ways in which you can easily turn off the Find my iPhone option on your iPhone for both versions 13 and above as well as 12 and below.