As you know to play real money slots, poker, blackjack, roulette, and the live dealer you need to make a deposit in Canadian dollars. To make an online transaction at the online site you need to make through a certain bank to fund your casino account to play real money games. Unfortunately, not all banks allow real money deposits.
Table of Contents
As online gambling has been a provincial or territorial matter since 2009 so there are no laws at the federal level that restrict players from visiting or playing at offshore casinos. None of the provinces or territories have created any laws to prevent citizens from depositing and playing internationally either.
However, one of the big banks will only process payments to and from Provincial Lottery Corp casinos – that bank is the Bank of Nova Scotia (Scotiabank).
Do you know due to a U.S. law, the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 (UIGEA) major banks such as Chase, with headquarters in America, are not able to process any gambling funds for international online gambling?
This means while it is legal to play at an online casino within Canada, banks are having to abide by a US law (the UIGEA) since many banks have head branches in the US.
Not to be disheartened few Canadian banks do allow transactions to fund online casino accounts for gambling and betting. Also, you can use instant banking methods instead of credit cards to fund the online site when it comes to playing real money games. This method will work with any bank you are with and allows you to effectively play at any online casino without having any worry about deposits or withdrawals being declined. Alternatively, using an e-wallet like ecoPayz is also a great alternative but will require you to set up a third-party account and isn’t as widely accepted.
Which Canadian banks allow gambling?
Here are the major Canadian financial institutions that allow online gambling transactions and alternative options available to fund your account.
Scotiabank will only process transactions to online gambling sites operated by a Crown Corporation such as EspaceJeux.com for Quebecers, PlayOLG.com for Ontarians, and PlayNow.com for players in British Columbia and Manitoba.
BMO is happy to process offshore gambling transactions and treats them as “cash-like transactions” the same as purchasing money orders or traveller’s checks. The BMO Mastercard cardholder agreement defines the term as such: “Cash-like transactions mean transactions involving the purchase of items directly convertible into cash including wire transfers, money orders, travellers’ cheques, gaming transactions (including betting, off-track betting, race track wagers, casino gaming chips and lottery tickets).”
CIBC reserves the right to not process gambling transactions, as seen in their credit card agreement 3.1 which states “Prohibited Use of Card. CIBC may block transactions that it can identify as internet gambling.” However, most transactions go through without a problem and there are other ways to access your CIBC funds for online gambling as well.
The RBC credit card agreement also states that they can prevent transactions connected to Internet gambling. However, many of the methods discussed here will enable the use of this card through a third-party service.
TD Bank has been blocking many credit card deposits at online casinos since 2013 but still allows several other methods of funding. We’ll look at ways to fund your online casino account using this and other major Canadian banks in the following section;
Remember that one of the most direct methods of funding your casino account from a Canadian bank is to use an eCheck/ACH facility. With this method you would enter information on one of your paper checks and the funds will be deposited immediately.
Which is the best deposit option?
In order to deposit or withdraw bank funds consistently an intermediary account or eWallet is usually the best bet. Also, you can use the following methods for deposits at Canadian online casinos to play real money games:
Instant Banking like:
- Bank Wires
- Interac e-Transfers: If you already shop online you are probably familiar with using Interac to make purchases. The highly secure funds-transfer method also works for casino deposits and withdrawals and many find it to be the preferred method for online gambling. Most Canadian online casinos recognize that many customers prefer to use Interac as sensitive financial information is not revealed in the process. Its growth in popularity is making many online casinos recognize it as a must-have payment option.
- Instadebit: Much like Interac, Instadebit is another instant payment method used to transfer funds from your bank account to a casino or other online merchant. You can also cash out your winnings via Instadebit. Since the facility works as an intermediary, your bank will not know that you are transacting with an online casino, so even Scotiabank and small credit union customers can use this method at any online casino that offers it.
- iDebit: Offers instant deposits as well as withdrawals from any Canadian bank account. Players don’t need a credit card to use these services and your bank will not be aware of your transaction partner. Your funds remain at your financial institution until you transfer them. Deposits are transacted instantly but withdrawals may take a few days to process.
- UseMyBank: While most players worldwide can only use this method for deposits, Canadians who are approved for Pre-Authorized Debits (PAD) can also use it to withdraw funds from an online casino. If you see the UseMyBank logo in the casino’s banking section, simply click, enter your banking information, and deposit. The funds will be available instantly and there are no user fees.
- Bank Wires: This is rarely an attractive option for Canadian players to deposit with. Banks may refuse the transaction which can take over a week to be processed. If you have deposited with a pre-paid card or another method that does not allow withdrawals back to it, a direct bank transfer is a way to collect your winnings securely.
Electronic Wallets like:
Electronic Wallets E-wallets are a popular alternative to instant banking because transactions to and from a casino are processed extremely fast. However, the biggest difference is that it requires you to set up a 3rd party account and transactions made to get your money out will often incur fees. Neteller used to be a very popular e-wallet used to fund your account, however, it is no longer available for Canadians to use at online casinos there is EcoPayz, MuchBetter, Webmoney and Jeton which are great alternatives.
These wallets must first be funded, so they are more like a PayPal account that you need to keep topped off. Once your account has money in it, you can use those funds to deposit. Casinos will also payout to wallets, and these payments can be instant. You will then need to transfer the money again in order to spend it anywhere that does not accept eWallet transactions.
Prepaid Cards like
- Vanilla Prepaid
Prepaid Cards: Another alternative is to use a prepaid card, for example, you could buy a Vanilla Prepaid card from any 7-11. You can use these types of cards to deposit funds at any casino, however, be aware that you won’t be able to withdraw back into it. In this case, you would only be able to withdraw any winnings by requesting for a cheque to be sent to your address.
Finally, note that some banks allow you to make an online transaction to play real money games. The most effective way of all is to simply use any of the instant banking options instead since it will work in conjunction with any bank and avoids any possible hassle of a transaction being declined. Alternatively, you could use an E-wallet, however, they aren’t as widely accepted and will often charge fees when you choose to transfer or withdraw funds. A prepaid card is also another alternative, however, withdrawals will have to be sent via cheque.
These are a few Canadian banks that allow online gambling transactions. All of these banks are deemed as some of the best options for online gambling transactions in Canada. They provide not only safe and more secure money transactions but also efficient money-exchange methods to resolve the currency exchange.